- If it’s good enough for me, it’s good enough for a memoir
- Should I write what I know?
- Making criticism constructive
- Your darlings may not deserve to die
- Showing too much
- Did I Miss Something?
- Don’t ignore response to a tragedy
- Pulling new genres out of the hat
- The key to polite introductions
- Remember me?
- Writing rules to break
- I’d like you to meet my newest character
- Follow Write about what? on WordPress.com
Tag Archives: Kill your darlings
When Arthur Quiller-Couch lectured on the art of writing at Cambridge in 1914, he uttered a phrase repeated frequently among authors today. Whenever you feel an impulse to perpetrate a piece of exceptionally fine writing, obey it—whole-heartedly—and delete it before … Continue reading